Teach the importance of nature
PRENDRE CONSCIENCE ET AGIR //
From Awareness to Actions for Nature Conservation
Palawan Island, Philippines
The goal of this program is to raise awareness among the general public on the importance of Nature and the threats it faces. It aims to create tangible actions and solutions to face those threats that will inevitably impact humans.
Signing a partnership with the Holy Trinity University (HTU) , to make the university “clean and green”.
Creating a training program on Environmental Education (EE) intended for teachers of any curriculum. .
- Implementing training on Environmental Education (EE) for science teachers at the HTU and teachers of various courses at the Palawan State University.
- Talks about environment protection and ecological responsibility for students of the HTU.
- Implementation of 20 minutes of weekly environmental activities for HTU kindergarten pupils.
- Environmental film screenings to raise awareness about nature protection in the local population.
- Educational interventions intended for pupils, students and the general public on plastic pollution and available alternatives to tackle this environmental issue.
- Implementation of restriction measures to save water and electricity at HTU.
- Implementation of forest/beach/city clean-ups with the involvement of local population followed by a “zero-waste” workshop.
- Signing of an agreement between ABConservation, PCSD, DEPED, PSU and the City-ENRO to implement regular training sessions on Environmental Education for teachers of Puerto Princesa City.
Program to ban single-use plastic at the Palawan Christian Hope School and the HTU
Creation of a nature club at the HTU.
The challenge: the state of Nature is getting worse
Litter in the forest of Aborlan, Palawan Island, Philippines. Credit R. Perrucaud
The goals: raise awareness and take actions
Tree planting – Palawan Island, Philippines. Credit M. Vergniol
This program has two main goals:
- Raising awareness in a sustainable way, in as many people as possible, of all ages and from all origins, in order to generate curiosity about Nature and make them realize how important it is. Indeed, we depend on Nature and its proper functioning. By realizing our impact, we can all act positively to counter the threats that Nature is facing.
- Generating concrete actions for the protection and conservation of Nature, such as an initiation on zero-waste, being consumer actors (choosing local and seasonal food for example), planting trees of native species or chosing a more eco-responsible consumption of water and electricity.
Our action: seek concrete solutions and proceed with local actions
In order to achieve these goals, ABConservation plans to implement several actions with our current local partners or by creating new partnerships.
Activities for teachers
Through these various training sessions, we want to raise awareness among a maximum of people (children, teenagers and adults) and thus ensure that environmental protection is taken into account for everyday actions and decisions, whether it is at home, at the market, at work, etc.
Murielle at the training on environmental education for teachers - Puerto Princesa Citu, Palawan, Philippines. Credit L. Grace
“Zero waste” talk for students of Hope Christian School - Puerto Princesa City, Palawan island, Philippines. Credit M. Vergniol
Activities for pupils and students
Activities with universities
In order to help universities become more eco-responsible, we are creating programs to encourage the reduction of electricity and water consumption. The participation and dedication of students, teachers, employees and administrative staff are key to ensure the sustainability of these programs.
These activities are, for now, taking place in two schools and universities of Puerto Princesa City, the Holy Trinity University and HOPE Christian School.
Activities for the general public
Through the screening of environmental films, we wish to promote awareness and discuss with the audience on various themes that resonate with the local context, ranging from deforestation to plastic pollution.
Stakeholders in the field: essential local partners
Murielle Vergniol, education officer, has been working on this project full time since July 2019. She created the many partnerships needed for the smooth running of the project.
These various projects would not have begun without the help of: Isabelle (YEAH!), Mrs Annabelle and Mrs Mapa (HTU), Mrs Natividad and Mr Taha (DepEd), Atty Carlos Gomez and Myla Adriano (City ENRO) , Mrs Josol and Mrs. Grace (PSU), Mrs. Villaos and Mrs. Rodriguez (PCSD).
57 rue Cuvier MNHN CP31
88 Paduga Road, Barangay santa Monica
Puerto Princesa City
5300 Palawan, Philippines
Subscribe to our newsletter
Your e-mail address will be only used for sending ABConservation newsletters.
It will never be shared with third parties and you can find a link to cancel your subscription in all our e-mails.
To know how your data is used and to learn more about your rights, click here.